“WE THE PEOPLE OF THE WORLD…
Call for Moral Leadership
The declining quality and value of life on our planet have moved us to rise up and confront ourselves and our leadership with a call to conscious action. Our leaders have been unable to prevent or stop the many forms of personal, social and environmental degradation that now afflict the Earth. In as much as we have failed to insist that they help us effectively address these problems, We the People of the World share responsibility for the current conditions that threaten the Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness of all.
We refuse to accept this state of affairs any longer. To ourselves and our leaders we say: to support anything less than the commitments outlined in this declaration is inhumane, spiritually unenlightened and morally indefensible.
We the People of the World urge all leaders in government, politics, business, the sciences and technology, academics, healthcare, human services, religion and the arts to work together with us voluntarily and in good faith, to form a society wherein the following are regarded as the fundamental rights and essential prerequisites of a true democracy:
- No one goes hungry, thirsty or without adequate shelter
- The best in modern healthcare is available to everyone
- All are protected from physical and psychological violence
- Each is granted as much Education as he/she is able and willing to achieve, in service to the development of a free and just society
- Every man and woman is guaranteed meaningful work at a living wage
- Children will inherit a clean environment and a sustainable future
- Each is encouraged and enabled to determine the course of his/her own life, fulfillment and death, provided that the basic rights of others are upheld and defended
Such moral and spiritual commitments by us and our leaders are the hallmarks of an enlightened and healthy society. In their universal establishment, we will take an important step toward overcoming the regressive political, social and economic agendas that threaten our planet and its future generations.”
~Rev. Frank Placone-Willey